On Monday, I wrote a post about how reading gets me through the potholes of life, and today I wanted to build on that. As I mentioned in the post, books have the power to make you feel and reading them can even change what you feel. But reading isn’t limited to just making you feel something – it’s so many great things wrapped up into one: knowledge sharing, stress relieving, empathy boosting, open-minded enabling, inspiration fertiliser and pure, undiluted happiness.
All of this awesomeness is captured in the 10 quotes below. Some of them are fun, some are philosophical, but all of them will share a bit of wisdom about reading.
And who doesn’t love some bookish quotes, right?
1. “Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.” – Joseph Addison
2. “The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading.” – David Bailey
3. “There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.” – Ray Bradbury
4. “Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well.” – Mark Haddon
5. “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
6. “Reading furnishes the mind only with materials of knowledge; it is thinking that makes what we read ours.” – John Locke
7. “A capacity, and taste, for reading gives access to whatever has already been discovered by others.” – Abraham Lincoln
8. “Don’t ask me who’s influenced me. A lion is made up of the lambs he’s digested, and I’ve been reading all my life.” – Charles de Gaulle
9. “Expand the definition of ‘reading’ to include non-fiction, humor, graphic novels, magazines, action adventure, and, yes, even websites. It’s the pleasure of reading that counts; the focus will naturally broaden. A boy won’t read shark books forever.” – Jon Scieszka
10. “The flood of print has turned reading into a process of gulping rather than savoring.” – Raymond Chandler
Why do you love to read? Is it the knowledge it gives you or the place it takes you? Or something else?