It’s Wednesday – and it’s my brother’s birthday! As I don’t have a tonne of time to spend on a post today (sorry, too busy eating cake…), I’ve decided to do a short ( but fun!) post about bookish quotes that are filled with awesome wisdom! And who better to quote than the ones who make a living creating literature masterpieces!
Below I’ve compiled 10 quotes by famous authors that highlight some pretty interesting views on books. So have a read, feel inspired and spread the wisdom!
1. “Men have had every advantage of us in telling their own story. Education has been theirs in so much higher a degree; the pen has been in their hands. I will not allow books to prove anything.” – Jane Austen
2. “Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.” – Mark Twain
3. “There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. “ – Oscar Wilde
4. “There are books of which the backs and covers are by far the best parts.” – Charles Dickens
5. “We don’t need lists of rights and wrongs, tables of do’s and don’ts: we need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
6. “Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.” – Mark Twain
7. “The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.” – Oscar Wilde
8. “Read. Read. Read. Just don’t read one type of book. Read different books by various authors so that you develop different styles.” – R. L. Stine
9. “I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book” – J. K. Rowling
10. “Look at a book. A book is the right size to be a book. They’re solar-powered. If you drop them, they keep on being a book. You can find your place in microseconds. Books are really good at being books, and no matter what happens, books will survive.” – Douglas Adams
What’s your favourite bookish quote that’s full of wisdom? Stated by a famous author or not, I would love to hear it!