So today’s post is all about fantasy – Urban Fantasy vs. High Fantasy to be more precise.
If you’re not sure what the difference is, you can find a quick definition for Urban Fantasy here and High Fantasy here (Thanks, Wikipedia!). However, the main difference is that whilst an Urban Fantasy novel must primarily be set in a city in the real world (and tends to be set in contemporary times, though this is not always the case), High Fantasy novels are set in an entirely fictitious world such has Middle-earth from Lord of the Rings.
If you are new to Urban Fantasy or High Fantasy OR just don’t know which you like best, this entirely unscientific (and somewhat silly) test is for you!
Below I’ve listed 10 questions that should help you figure out which of these two genres would be perfect for you. All you have to do is choose which option would describe you best if you were the protagonist in a fantasy book!
- Where do you live?
- In the countryside – close to a great forest
- In the city – close to a coffee shop
- What kind of accommodation do you live in?
- A small cottage with a thatched roof
- An air-conditioned flat
- What are you wearing (said in a non-sexy voice!)?
- A simple cotton dress/pants + shirt OR a practical robe
- A pair of leather pants + a t-shirt OR comfy pyjamas
- What kind of job do you have?
- Potions maker with a secret ability to wield dangerous magic
- Supernatural Private Investigator with ridiculously high hazard pay
- What non-magical weapon are you skilled at using?
- A yew longbow (like the one above – only longer…. And more awesome)!
- A gun – doesn’t matter which one as long as it gets the job done…
- How do you get around?
- On horseback, of course! I’ve got a lovely Andalusian named Trix
- Black on Black Mustang with magic infused engine
- What non-alcoholic beverage is your favourite?
- A lovely cup of fragrant tea
- A triple shot espresso, preferably laced with jet fuel
- What kind of pet do you have?
- An adorable mouse called Trillion
- Something that won’t die if I don’t feed it for 24 hours…
- What kind of friends do you have?
- Mostly dragons and sorcerers with the odd knight thrown in
- Vampires, werewolves and one pain-in-the-a** poltergeist!
- Do you know any royals?
- Yes, quite a few actually. The king of Minas Tirith seems to fancy me!
- Does the guy at my local Burger King count?
Right! Drum roll please! *sound of drum roll*…
As you might have guessed, if you have more 1’s than 2’s, you belong in a Middle-earth-ish place where magic is old, and you are surrounded by cunning dragons and a tonne of royals! However, if you have more 2’s, you are right at home in the city, kicking ass after dark when the bad guys come out!
Of course, the world isn’t black and white, so you might be a bit of both. According to the test, I would be a pyjamas-wearing potions maker, living in a thatched cottage in the countryside with a longbow by the door and a gun hidden in my coffee pot. My pet mouse Trillion would keep me company along with my poltergeist when my sorcerer/vampire friends were borrowing my Black on Black Mustang to pick up burgers at Burger King. I would be drinking lethal coffee in the morning and soothing tea the rest of the day.
So what would you be?! Do let me know in the comments below!