Today is a special day. It’s the International Day of Commemoration in memory of the victims of the Holocaust. As the long title says, this is a day for all of us to remember the approx. 11 million victims of the deadliest genocide in history. To avoid repeating the past, we need to learn from it. We need to remember the people who survived the horrifying conditions in the Nazi concentration camps and the ones who didn’t. The ones who were murdered, worked to death or left to perish of starvation and sickness.
One of the victims of this despicable disregard for human life was a young girl named Annelies Marie Frank (aka Anne Frank). You’ve probably heard of her. Anne is one of the most famous (if not the most famous) victims of the Nazis’ goal to eradicate fellow human beings because of twisted ideologies. Her fame is due to the diary she kept whilst in hiding during WWII, which her father, the only surviving member of the family, published after her death.
The diary gives a very personal account of her life in the two years where she and her family lived in hiding. Whilst it covers some of the darkest parts of her life, it contains some inspiring statements. These statements show that even in what seems to be a miserable situation, Anne managed to find light in the darkness.
Below you’ll find 10 quotes from Anne’s diary which I hope will inspire you to always look for the light in any dark situation you may find yourself in.
- “Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart.“
- “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.”
- “The final forming of a person’s character lies in their own hands.“
- “I don’t think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains.”
- “I must uphold my ideals, for perhaps the time will come when I shall be able to carry them out.”
- “We all live with the objective of being happy; our lives are all different and yet the same.”
- “No one has ever become poor by giving.”
- “I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn.”
- “People can tell you to keep your mouth shut, but that doesn’t stop you from having your own opinion.”
- “What is done cannot be undone, but one can prevent it happening again.”
Have I missed your favourite Anne Frank quote?