Today is national Motivation and Inspiration Day in the U.S.A. (and an unofficial self-awareness day in many other parts of the world). It’s a day when people are encouraged to strive to become the best they can be, but while this may sound very New Age hippie-ish to some, the day has a sombre history.
It was passed by The U.S. Congress on 18th December 2001 with the goal to make the 2nd of January an annual reminder to the American people that there were still many things to live for after 9/11.
What better day than today to get a few life lessons and inspirational advice from a man who has been called the father of Amercian literature?
Best known for books like The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mr Twain (whose real name was Samuel Langhorne Clemens!) was also famous for his humour, something which is reflected in the 30 quotes below.
I have tried to limit the number of quotes, but found it difficult to decide on which to leave out as they are all insightful and/or ridiculously funny! This man was hilarious!
So this post is really for all you bookworms, who looove amazing quotes!
Warning: Sarcasm is generously used in his quotes, so don’t take all of them too seriously!
- “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
- “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.“
- “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”
- “All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.”
- “Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.”
- “Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.”
- “The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.”
- “Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.”
- “If it’s your job to eat a frog, it’s best to do it first thing in the morning. And if it’s your job to eat two frogs, it’s best to eat the biggest one first.”
- “Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.”
- “Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.”
- “Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.”
- “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
- “Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.”
- “It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.”
- “A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.”
- “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
- “Buy land, they’re not making it anymore.”
- “Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
- “Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.”
- “Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain.”
- “When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain.”
- “Be careless in your dress if you must, but keep a tidy soul.”
- “The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause.”
- “Drag your thoughts away from your troubles… by the ears, by the heels, or any other way you can manage it.”
- “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.”
- “Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.”
- “Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen.”
- “When angry, count to four; when very angry, swear.”
- “We are all alike, on the inside.”
Which one is your favourite Mark Twain quote? Do you have another inspiring and/or motivational quote that you absolutely love? Please share it in the comments below!