Today’s blog post is all about tomorrow. As some of you may know from following the blog, I don’t post on Saturdays. However, I didn’t want to miss the opportunity to write about a very special person whose birthday is on 11th March. Yep, Douglas Noel Adams was born on that day in 1952 in Cambridge, England.
He is probably best known as the author of “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”, but Adams also did other stuff like write stories for Doctor Who and work with Monty Python’s Flying Circus. One of the key elements that shines through all of his work is his incredible fantasy which is packed with a wonderfully weird humour.
To celebrate the life of the man whom we lost far too early (in 2001), I have picked some of my favourite quotes – I was tempted to do 42 but decided that narrowing down the list would probably be best!
So grab your towel and let’s travel through the wonderful world that is Douglas Adams with these 15 unique quotes.
1. “The difficulty with this conversation is that it’s very different from most of the ones I’ve had of late. Which, as I explained, have mostly been with trees.” – Douglas Adams
2. “Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” – Douglas Adams
3. “Every country is like a particular type of person. America is like a belligerent, adolescent boy; Canada is like an intelligent, 35-year-old woman. Australia is like Jack Nicholson. It comes right up to you and laughs very hard in your face in a highly threatening and engaging manner.” – Douglas Adams
4. “If somebody thinks they’re a hedgehog, presumably you just give ’em a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.” – Douglas Adams
5. “A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.” – Douglas Adams
6. “It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.” – Douglas Adams
7. “Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.” – Douglas Adams
8. “For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.” – Douglas Adams
9. “My absolute favourite piece of information is the fact that young sloths are so inept that they frequently grab their own arms and legs instead of tree limbs, and fall out of trees.” – Douglas Adams
10. “I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don’t know the answer.”- Douglas Adams
11. “I’m spending a year dead for tax reasons.” – Douglas Adams
12. “The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.” – Douglas Adams
13. “Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.” – Douglas Adams
14. “If there’s anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.” – Douglas Adams
15. “and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks.” – Douglas Adams
What’s your favourite Douglas Adams quote? Have I missed it? Do share it below!
And now there’s nothing left to say but “So long, and thanks for all the fish”!