It’s Friday! Yay! We’ve made it through another week, but before we can enjoy the weekend, we have to get through the rest of today. And today isn’t just any Friday – it’s Friday the 13th! Some of you might think “so what?” whilst others are struggling with your paraskevidekatriaphobia, which to the ones who aren’t in the know is the fear of Friday 13th.
Friday the 13th is generally considered to be an unlucky day in the western world. Where precisely this superstition originated is a bit unclear, but it affects a large number of people around the world. In America alone, it is estimated that between 17 – 21 million people are affected by the fear of this particular day, which actually makes it the most feared day in history – according to various sources like Wikipedia.
To prepare you for what might turn out to be an unlucky day, I have listed 13 unlucky things that could happen to bookworms around the world – hopefully, they won’t!
- You spill coffee or tea all over your favourite book
- Your local library is closed due to a hamster infestation
- Your local bookstore has none of the top 346 books on your looong booklist
- Your favourite author has decided to give up writing and become a harp player
- It’s announced that your favourite book will be made into a film – using all the wrong actors
- The sequel to one of your favourite books has been postponed another year
- The book you’re reading is missing page 37 and 38
- The only cover available for the book you really want to buy features the movie poster
- Your favourite character in the book you’re reading dies on page 89
- Your friend returns a book you’ve lent them – with eight dog-eared pages
- You friend ends up revealing what happens in the book you’re currently reading
- Someone steals the book you’re reading
- Your bookshelf comes crashing down due to the extreme weight of your books
Any other unlucky things that could happen to bookworms which you don’t see on the list? And which one would be the worst that could happen to you?!